Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Malg, Reporting... at Last!

It is before 9 a.m. in the morning on a very cold winter day in So. Florida. I want some coffee, but not very badly; I have to return a nebulizer to the doctor's office, but they open at nine, so I need to do something before that. Conveniently, there is a coffee shop/family restaurant nearby. I've been here before. I enter, and the hostess leads me to my booth. It is still Christmas here: the painted windows are reflecting the no rush to change the seasonal decor mode of the management or the owners. This is all OK with me; a Christmas rocking horse adorns my window. She (the waitress) comes promptly, and upon hearing from me that I want:"Just a coffee, please", she leaves in a hurry; the menu stays. Coffee tastes good, and I don't even bother to ask for milk, I settle for the half & half. I look around, and notice my reflection in the mirror on the wall in front of me: middle aged female, blond hair, dark frame glasses, brown winter jacket with a hood rimmed with faux fur. Now I think that if she comes again, I'll order the two eggs breakfast, because it is priced so right:$2.50 for two eggs, home fries, and a toast. I place my order and wait. And then I start imagining (maybe, because of the way I look in that mirror)that I could be on an assignment as a restaurant critic , reporting for some local newspaper. And this feels so right, so real!!! Here are my notes scribbled on the back of my latest bank statement: cozily dark; windows still bare Christmas painted-on decor; I fit right in; the two egg special is cheap $2.25: 2 eggs, home fries, toast OK, coffee tastes good; cup is off white; good background music: 70's+2000's "...you're beautiful...it's true.. i saw your face..." my breakfast arrives at 9:06. eggs over M - excellent, not a trace of fat. potatoes good- home flavour. looks like i am one of the first customers. they start coming around 9 a.m. lamps on? at around 8:30.. why, I wonder. "Bud Light" sign. why. do they serve Beer, here? I ate half of everything and put the other half in the styrofoam take out container. On the way out i asked the hostess (young "koniecpol" girl) if the pies and cakes were baked here: she said "yes". the price around $24- 30 That's big (the pie and the price!)

No comments: