Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2009

TROPICAL WISTERIA MAGIC

Tropical Wisteria a.k.a. Queen's Wreath, Sandpaper Vine, Petrea volubilis, Bluebird Vine in Bloom: Full Magic Power. Pictured here is our Wisteria
grown from a seed and planted under the "art room window". Photo: MK
This beautiful double flower has a double life in double color. It charms with two different shades of blue: the bottom petals are hazy lilac-blue, and the top flower is vibrant blue-purple. The bottom petals dry on the vine and lose their color, but the top delicate, soft violet/pansy-like flowers drop to the ground creating a magic carpet - I doubted that they belonged to the Tropical Wisteria I saw last Tuesday on the grounds of the little botanical garden by the painting studios of the U of M Art Dept. in Coral Gables (where I painted as a postgrad student 17 years ago). Lidia was there with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE wisteria..Just wish I could get it to grow here in Victorville, Ca...Maybe it is the soil..but it is gorgeous, thanks for sharing, love the blog

Malgorzata said...

I grew mine from a seed that I found under the vine growing in the park. This plant does not like too much water or fertilizer. Dry location and sandy soil proved to be best for my wisteria. Good luck.

Digital Universe said...

Wow... Very unique blog.
Fantastic pictures.

I like your blog.

Please visit:
http://heaven-view.blogspot.com

Keep blogging.
Have a nice weekend.

Blog Archive