Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

FOREVER CHARMING IN MY MIND

I don't know for sure if I can call this story “Charming”. It happened during the breakfast hours at a certain pancake house -no, not that "hopping" one; and since it is a mystery, I shall try not to name anything or anyone for the sake of keeping the mystery alive. There were two young men sitting at the window table in front of me and speaking Spanglish to one another, unaware that among the breakfast customers there was a writer plotting to write about them in her newest mystery tale. ”Bird & 137th Street... un restaurante colombiano”, said one of them, and then they both left. Soon the next group came to that table: party of four that probably walked straight from the nearby hotel; they all looked refreshed and too perky for the early morning hour ( before 8 am). One of the women had a large, black mole between her eyebrows, and to my knowledge, it looked like a skin cancer. She ordered pancakes with blueberries. Immediately following this scene, something new started developing behind me: Two middle-aged guys were talking in plain English about pancreatic cancer. The mother of one of the guys had it. And all the while…your writer was being sandwiched between those two different types of cancer. This, my reader, is the mysterious story that left me with a feeling of a moment in time and space that was...charming, dignified and delightful like my waitress, who was young and pretty, and constantly refilling my coffee cup.

No comments: