Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

BEAUTIFUL AND INTRIGUING DISCOVERIES: PART II

To continue the story about how viewers interpret my paintings, I'm presenting here the "Blue Nun" also known as "Comfy Weird Bed with Eyes"
This is the horizontal view ( the vertical view is another story.) This photo was taken at the Sunrise Civic Center Art Studio on Saturday, September 27, 2014... just 9 days ago. 

My approach was carefree, sans any particular influence. The music on Pandora station was playing but I don't recall who's music it was.... it was just right for the moment, otherwise I would've changed it. I was working on three paintings in sequence, moving from easel to table to another easel ... back and forth, turning the canvas and the cardboards around as I pleased.
The results were intersting but not spectacular: three more or less abstract 
paintings.
After cropping the photo I noticed something or rather someone: a girl in a blue dress... and I saw that she was sitting on a bench in front of a large abstract painting in a museum of art. So I posted the cropped photo on Instagram with this special title:
GIRL IN BLUE DRESS IN FRONT OF THE ABSTRACT PORTRAIT PAINTING.

In this work there was no particular intent to portray anything, but I remember seeing a coffee cup/mug emerging...with eyes and ears - and then I added another cup... for the company. I don't recall exactly what I was thinking while painting, but I rememer what I was feeling: freedom.

My friend Nathalie aka "the fourth viewer" saw a nun in a blue habit and a monk in a white habit. According to Nathalie's interpretation the monk is fat, bald and angry; he has a rosary around and under his hood, and a rope around his waist.
The nun is looking forward, and the monk is in 3/4 view, looking or gazing back.

to be continued

/Malgorzata Kawashima


No comments: